ABOUT OUR VOLUNTEERING PROGRAMME
Namutumba Community Hospital provides a unique opportunity for individuals as well as medical staff and students to gain a life changing experience in a welcoming, friendly and relatively safe environment.
Volunteers with our programme become involved in all areas of the hospital, bringing together great minds and a positive attitude to make life changing experiences for both patients and their families. For those with a medical background, volunteering provides vital exposure to the practice of overseas medicine in a low resource setting, with international medical professionals providing invaluable practical help and expertise to the dedicated but overstretched hospital staff.
The hospital welcomes all volunteers, including individuals, students, doctors, midwives, nurses and medical students for periods of a minimum of 4 weeks for volunteering. Visiting clinicians who can offer teaching and training to the staff at our hospital are instrumental in contributing to the development and progress of the hospital can always come for shorter periods of time.
How can one applay for volunteer ship? Please follow the following guidelines to help you apply for the volunteership at Namumtumba community Hospital
Please allow 1.2 weeks for the application process. If you have not heard anything after this time, please email us but normally all goes on well.
This guide is designed to assist you in preparing for your voluntary service and provides practical local information for when you arrive in Uganda.
Namutumba Community Hospital provides a day menu card for its staffs and this does not exclude the volunteers . In case the volunteer wants to have a special meal not on the day menu, you will be asked to pay for it in the hospital restaurant.
The hospital request for a contribution of 500,000 USh (euro120) per week towards your elective programme which includes hospital supervision, accommodation, cleaning, water, electricity and food.
Transport to and from the hospital is available. One way trip to/from Entebbe costs 250,000 USh.
These costs are subject to changes due to the unstable prices of fuel with in the country, please you are requested to ask for information from the hospital administration team.
pre-visit preparation check list
- We request you make inquires with your Insurance companies to give you a proper guidance on what they will you caver during your travel or stay abroad.
Medical Indemnity Protection
- Even as a medical student it is important to have cover with a medical indemnity provider in case of any issues while you are in the hospital. Please ensure you have discussed your elective with them before you leave.
Post Exposure Prophylaxis
- There is a limited and variable supply of PEP at the hospital. It is advisable for you to bring your own supply of PEP so that it is readily available to you if you need it. This might be something that can be covered by your insurance provider so you can discuss with them.
- Malaria is endemic in East Africa so malaria prophylaxis is essential. A number of options are available including doxycycline, Malarone and mefloquine.
- It is advisable to visit a travel nurse specialist before you travel to get advice about Immunisations and general travel advice.
- There is a cash machine available in Iganga the next district (power dependent) where you can get local shillings. The daily limits of money available at those machines is much lower than what we are used to in Switzerland.
- Therefore it is also advisable to travel with USD or Euros for exchange to Ugx shillings in Entebbe/Kampala, but kampala is better due the good exchange rate the give.
Any person intending to travel to Uganda must apply online and have a Travel Authorization/Visa Approval Letter before embarking on their travel to Uganda as there are no visas issued on arrival.
These are the procedures of applying for a Ugandan Visa online.
Step-1: Log onto www.visas.immigration.go.ug ,start a new application and accept the disclaimer.
Step-2: Choose the;
- Application type (Visa).
- Category (Ordinary, Multiple-Entry, Diplomatic and Official, Transit, East Africa Tourist Visa).
- Subcategory (single-entry, multiple-entry for 6-12 months, 12-24 months or 24-36 months).
Step-3: Fill the electronic form (Personal details of applicant).
Step-4: Add required documents depending on the category and reason for travel (Copy of recent passport size photograph, Copy of passport bio-data page, Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate, Recommendation letter, Police clearance, Invitation Letter etc.)
Step-5: Submit the application.
Step-6: Make payment for the visa applied for using either a MasterCard or Visa Card.
For any person who wishes to volunteer between 3 weeks to 3 month,applay for Tourist Visa
- There are no direct flights from Switzerland to Uganda at present but you can get reasonable rates via the Middle East with Emirates, Qatar airways, KLM,SN Brussels, Turkish airline.
arrival in uganda
- If your flight arrives in Entebbe later that 3pm it is advisable to remain in Entebbe until the following day as it is not advisable to travel East of Kampala at night.
- A plethora of guesthouses are available in Entebbe and are often able to provide airport collection at no extra cost.
- You are responsible for your own safety when in the hospital and when traveling through the country. Uganda is relatively peaceful and safe to travel (not at night) but for the most up to date information you should refer to the foreign office website.
- Hospital adiministrator
- Denis Kasacha , can collect you from the airport at as cost of 250,000 USh one way and that around 65fr or 62 euro. This price is subject to change depending on the cost of fuel at that time.
- Public transport
- Matatus are the form of public transport which will take you from Entebbe to Namutumba via Kampala (albeit it rather slowly).
- Be prepared to get up close and personal with the locals, there is always space for one more on a matatu.
- Private hire
- Other private hire drivers can be arranged through guesthouses in Entebbe though they are quite expesive.
- Private hire
- When passing through Kampala it is advisable to stop off at Garden City or Lugogo Mall to get a local sim card. Ask Denis to take you, you can also get a data package for Internet access.
- MTN has the best 3G coverage in Namutumba and there is a wifi box containing a sim card in the guesthouse which you are free to use and add data to. MTN provides low costs tariffs for phone calls and texts.
- Ugandans typically dress in a smart and conservative manner. We advise either scrubs or smart wear (shirt and trousers for men; trousers or knee-length skirt for women with shoulders covered).
- The local doctors wear white coats on their ward rounds.
- If taking photographs for medical purposes, informed written or verbal consent should be acquired (bearing in mind language/communication difficulties). One should liaise with the nurse in charge of the shift to discuss photography and cameras should not be on show until consent has been gained.
- It is inadvisable to operate beyond personal competency levels in the hospital. Make it clear to the hospital administrators and clinical staff at the start of your visit what you are and are not qualified or competent to undertake. You should always be supervised by a senior clinician.
National parks and Safaris
Uganda is blessed with several numbers national parks that would be of your interest to visit and relax .you are free to choose from the several activities for example Chimpanzee tracking, Gorilla tracking, game drives in the nation parks, Hiking of Mt rwanzori and Elgon.
We do recommend that you book your tour and travel experience with Muna Safaris, they have the love and respect for nature and win received is used to support woman,children and families with disablites and elderly.
Join Us in Supporting the people of Namutumba
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer with Namutumba Friends, we would love to hear from you! We welcome applications from everyone, both medical and non medical.